Well after a lot of pondering and measurements and some small mistakes the heatsink for the handheld is done and installed, in my Simplex Repeater in-a-box
I started with a 100x100x18mm heatsink. A lot of filing for the multifaceted final project was done. i.e. the oblong cut on the front is there for the AAA battery case to pass over and lock. Let alone the radio’s back was also complex with three levels of.
Continue reading “HAMsmithing – Simplex Repeater in-a-box, DONE”
I am one soldering away from finishing this thing, my collapsible VHF Yagi.
Here it is in transport configuration.
Elements are stored between the two nested tubes that form the beam
Continue reading “HAMsmithing – Collapsible Yagi Antenna. Almost Done, to be Redone!”
Here is my method of soldering the Anderson PowerPoles easy and cleanly.
Start with tinned cable ends.
Place the APP contacts on the work surface oriented the way they will be placed in their plastic housings (this is with the split on top).
Touch the CLEAN tip of your soldering iron on the contact’s barrel.
When sufficiently hot, start feeding solder in the contact’s hole. How much you will find by trial and error.
Continue reading “A Suggested Method for Soldering Anderson Powerpoles”
Today I made a step further in the Collapsible Yagi Antenna build. The coax connection module is finished, sans the hot melt glue that will help keep things together. Else the antenna beam would be done today. The thing is that this build must be prototyped and done form the inside out.
On the right is the connections’ module with one of the driven elements placed, and a ring of PCV pipe to simulate the boom.
On the left is a simulation of the way the connection module was assembled. The 3mm bolts pass through the 16mmPVC pipe section. Then through the 20mm pipe section that has room for the nut.
You can also have a look at this pic. Stay tuned!
This build is almost done.
It is just a Baofeng handheld connected to a Surecomm simplex repeater device and a DIY Li-ion battery pack.
The box is -for the time being- a metal cookie box with added lid insulation. I favor the material, ‘cos it allows heat dissipation.
Continue reading “HAMsmithing – Simplex Repeater in-a-box”
Some time ago I organized my radio gear in small kits.
Each one is completely self contained, including all relevant items.
i.e. The wire dipole kit contains both the antenna, its coax cable, possible coax adaptors, plus the necessary cord, zipties etc to mount the antenna. That method requires a lot of duplicate items (i.e. coax cables) and material, but it is easy to use without worrying about forgotten items. let alone there is lot of redundancy in the system, a fetish of mine.
Now it is time for labeling the contents in each bag plus coloring for fast access.
As always, if you liked the contents of the blog, please share…
Years go I started an ambitious project. to make a collapsible Yagi antenna that its parts would store inside a section of the cylindrical boom. After making a working model of it on a piece of 1×2 wood length I put it on the hold cos I was not satisfied with the way the driven elements would attach.
One step forward by and I have this.
Motherboard Standoff/Risers, screws, ring terminals and nesting sections of PVC pipe.
I just hope it will not take a year more to finish it.
A week ago I has a try of my Walking Stick/Antenna Mast made of PVC pipe. My plans changed down the road and the test was limited to the antenna fitment/adapter section of it.
I had it redone to fix a dimensional mistake, and so I took the chance to grab some photos of the whole stick/mast build.
This is how the two sections are connected together. They are 25 and 20mm electrical conduit pipes cut a bit longer than usual waking baton length (you will need the extra length walking downhill).
Continue reading “HAMsmithing – DIY Walking Stick/Antenna Mast”
By the end of each January it is Winter Field Day time. Where HAM operators run their radios under field conditions. Some are as bold as to do this on the wild, in a tent on the snow.
Inspired by the concept, I had my own version of two days ago. No, I do not do HF yet, and it wasn’t actually winter. Over here we have a spell of spring-like sunny days on the last third of January, and that day it was 14 degrees C at 3000ft.
So I took the road to the gazebo I frequent somewhere on our mountain. I had taken most of my VHF equipment with me and a new DIY antenna pole to test. Also scheduled were cutting two new wire dipole antennas, using the RTL-SDR receiver with my phonen and maybe testing my simplex repeater too. And add some bush crafting in the process.
I spend Friday and Saturday making the pole and organizing my gear.
Continue reading “My own take into Winter Field Day”
So, after putting my cell phone in to use and running RTL-SDR radio listening apps, it was time to make 2 antennas for the dongle, the original one being Poor.
So I got me a coffee, nerves of steel, and started soldering on two MCX window Connectors for RG-174 cables.
The wire was sourced from a surveillance camera installation cable. It has 3 single conductors and a coax wire that seems to be RG-59 75ohm one.
Continue reading “HAMsmithing – DIY Receive-only Antennas for RTL-SDR Dongles”